Get Your Home Ready for Winter

Here are four pro-tips you might want to consider as we head into the cooler months of the year.


Beautiful flowers aren't only found in spring. There are a few species that will bloom through the winter, like pansies and violas. Ensure they're planted in well-draining soil and space them 10-15 cm apart. You'll have a display of bright florals to cheer you up on dreary days!

Winter Pansies


Fall is the time to plant bulbs that will grow in spring, like tulips. Ideally, you want to plant the bulbs as soon after purchasing them as you can and before the first big frost. On average, you want to plant your bulbs around 20 cm into the ground. Give each bulb space, you don't want bulbs to rub against each other or they could rot.

Planting Tulips


Drain and store water hoses for the winter. To winterize the pipes, turn off the water-valve in the house that feeds the line, then open the spigot to allow any excess water to drain out. Trapped water can freeze and crack the pipes.

Winterizing Water Pipes


If your windows are dripping with condensation, the humidity in your room is likely too high and could potential damage windows, drywall, and flooring. Using a dehumidifier in your home will regulate the moisture in the air.


No comments

Post Your Comment:

Your email will not be published
Reciprocity Logo The data relating to real estate on this website comes in part from the MLS® Reciprocity program of either the Greater Vancouver REALTORS® (GVR), the Fraser Valley Real Estate Board (FVREB) or the Chilliwack and District Real Estate Board (CADREB). Real estate listings held by participating real estate firms are marked with the MLS® logo and detailed information about the listing includes the name of the listing agent. This representation is based in whole or part on data generated by either the GVR, the FVREB or the CADREB which assumes no responsibility for its accuracy. The materials contained on this page may not be reproduced without the express written consent of either the GVR, the FVREB or the CADREB.